For most intents and purposes, hair weaves can be styled in the same way as natural hair. The exceptions to this rule come into play when a synthetic or low-quality human hair is used. Still, it's possible to style a hair weave in an attractive way without a lot of work. When styled and cared for properly, a hair weave can last up to about three months.
1. Wash and condition the hair just as you would your natural hair, being careful to rinse out all of the shampoo. When combing out tangles, use a wide-tooth comb. Start from the bottom, be gentle and work your way up to avoid damaging the hair and possibly pulling it out from where it's attached.
2. Dry the hair naturally in the air or by using a blow dryer. The appropriate method of drying will depend on the type of hair weave. If hair is attached in such a way that is disturbed by heat, such as in the fusion method, keep direct heat away from the roots of the hair. If at all possible, let the hair dry naturally.
3. After the hair is dry, apply as few products as possible to prevent buildup, heaviness and a dull finish that can make even beautiful extensions look unnatural and worn.
4. Apply heat to straighten and curl the hair as infrequently as possible. Using heat frequently will shorten the length of time that the hair weave looks its best. For human hair weaves, heat can be applied in a similar fashion to natural hair. However, synthetic hair can't stand up to heat the same as human hair, so either avoid using heat or don't hold the heat on the hair for more than a few seconds.
5. Use accessories such as hair clips and ponytail holders as usual, while being careful not to pull the hair too tight. Also, be careful not to pull or snag the hair when removing the accessories.
Tips & Warnings
. Apply styling products from the crown of the hair and work through the rest with the fingers or a comb. This will prevent one part of the hair from being too glossy and weighed down, which can make the weave stand out as unnatural.
. To prevent matting or tangling, the hair should be brushed at the scalp at least twice a day using a soft bristle brush and starting at the ends of the hair.